THE CASTLE (1997)



          The Castle is about the Kerrigan family that make their happy little home right next door to an airport. But even with planes flying over head and the chemical waste in the soil, they couldn't imagine living any where else. But, when the airport authorities try to force them out of their home, Dale Kerrigan is in the fight of his life and his home.
          I thought that this film was quite funny. It has that kind of humor that I compared to the National Lampoon films. What makes these films funny is the script. The characters don't rely on slapstick humor or old devices. The humor is in the language and how the characters are completely serious in what they say, even if it is absolutely hilarious. These films also both picture a seemingly functional family that get into situations that test their dispositions. The fathers are both the stars of the films and must draw their families through  battle and become their hero.
          

          I would say that this would be a great family film but I noticed that it was rated 'R'. I thought that it might have been a mistake because there was no crude humor or anything risque. The only reason for this rating was for the F-bombs being produced from one of the other characters. If it weren't for this small part of the film, it could have easily been a PG production. I do not think that the Australian government would have thought the rating should have been so high. To them, the words that we would find completely offensive are more of  the common language. They do not take the same offence and have different opinions about other words that Americans would consider insignificant.
2 Responses
  1. Sarah Morris Says:

    I found this movie amusing as well. I especially enjoyed the tight relationship and the banter between the neighbors. It was a classic underdog story, and light feel good comedy. I think my favorite part was the lawyer who saw the kindness of the peoples hearts and decided to fight on there behalf, and then became apart of their wacky community. Its just one of those movies that makes you smile, and I enjoyed that.

  2. Carrie Says:

    This is now one of my favorite movies. It is so absurd but that is why I love it. I usually am a fan of slapstick comedy but like Alexis said that is not the type of humor The Castle is at all. The narration alone is enough to make you crack up laughing. I loved when he would marvel over his wife's cooking and she wouldn't even do anything special to it. I also agree with Sarah with liking the classic underdog story.

Post a Comment

abcs