Strictly Ballroom

STRICTLY BALLROOM (1992)


         Strictly Ballroom is a fictional, romantic comedy of a young attractive champion dancer named Scott Hastings who is seeking to dance to his own steps, literally. Fran, a beginner as ballroom dance and a bit of an ugly duckling, who asks to be Scott's partner after his more orthodox dancing partner walks out on him. Together, they try to win the Australian Pan Pacific Championship and show the Ballroom Confederation that there is such a thing as "new steps".
          This film was quite enjoyable but was it a comedy? It certainly wasn't morbid or horrifying, but I'm not sure if I can say that it was comedic. A comedy is defined as professional entertainment consisting of jokes and satirical sketches meant to make an audience laugh. This film possessed moments of slapstick humor and puns that directed the films mood toward a lighter side. During the film, there was a visual trope of Liz Holt (Scott's first partner) repeatedly shuts the door in the face of Fran (a beginner). Not only is this to make clear the status quot between the characters, but it is supposed to bring out a moment of slapstick humor. There are also many characters that possess comedic qualities to help lighten the plot. Ken Railings is the ultimate dance opponent and also a bit of a drunk. He always shows up to the competitions completely under the influence. Scott's mother (Shirley Hastings) is one of those controlling parents that has their child's life already planned out and prepared. All they have to do is be perfect. When Scott decides that he is going to take up a beginning dancer and dance to his own steps, she plots and tries to make him change his ways. However, I never found this film to be be particularly humorous. This could just be because I do not find the sense of humor amusing. Many of the techniques and devices used for this film, are 'old'. I have seen the 'door slap" in cartoons and other films, I have also been exposed to the drunken bully that makes a fool of himself, the obsessive mother and her struggle to obtain power over her child's life, and the underdog that becomes the star of the show.
         The use of old gimmicks and traditional humor is what keeps me from enjoying the film in the way that was intended. I wonder if I had seen this film when it first came out I would have a different point of view about it, but I still think that this was a very entertaining film for the whole family.
1 Response
  1. Gretchen Says:

    I enjoyed the movie. I think that a lot of the humor came from the caricature of the characters around Scott and Fran. I think it is similar to "Best in Show" by the way they spoofed on the people in that field. The dancing is what I think made this movie for me. The Paso Doble they perform in the end of the film was amazing to watch. The basic story between Scott & Fran also reminded me of "Dirty Dancing" a bit.

Post a Comment

abcs